Monday 24 September 2007

To iPhone or not to iPhone, that is the question

I find myself completely torn over the iPhone. On the one hand I do not like the fact that consumers are forced into a contract with O2 when they have paid full price for the device and I find the fact that O2 pay a share of the revenue from the contracts tied to the iPhone even less appetising. On the other hand, the device really is a joy to use and it would be useful having something that I can dock at work (whilst putting my current handset on charge is no real hardship it's not automatic for me in the same way that docking my iPod is). The question is therefore whether or not I should ignore my misgivings that surround Apple's business practises and buy the handset that I want anyway...

It's a great shame that none of the handset manufacturers out there make a phone that offers all that the iPhone does in terms of usability. There are some pretty large omissions on the iPhone's spec, but it would offer me the level of fuctionality that I require so that isn't as much of an issue for me as it may be for other people. Also, it would make me incredibly happy to move away from Symbian S60 (which is particularly poor on the N73, which I am currently using).

The fact that I'm finding this decision so difficult probably indicates that I will take the plunge and buy an iPhone when it's released on November the 9th. Watch this space.

No comments: